Let's go for a ride!
you will not be eligible to participate, and we really don't want anyone to miss out.
The Ultimate Alleycat
January 20 - 21 2024
Teams of two.
The Ultimate Alleycat / Scavenger Hunt
Westside Joe’s Bikes
4319 Piedmont Ave. Oakland, CA 94611
Line 51 Brewing
303 Castro St, Oakland, CA 94607
January 20th / 21st 2024
Because riding bikes is AWESOME!
And raising money to support youth getting on bicycles is EVEN MORE AWESOMER!
Please visit all the sponsors listed at the bottom. Without them, well, it wouldn't be that great.
This ride is for teams of two.
To participate in the ride,
each team member makes a minimum $25 donation to Cycles of Change.
and save the receipt!
In the email include:
- Ultimate Alley Cat in the subject
- Both Team Member's Names
- Both donation receipts (screenshots are fine)
- The name of your team
- Which ride you are doing - The 9 or the 33 (See below)
and we will put you on the roster!
100% of all funds raised will go to Cycles of Change
If you would like to sponsor this event,
please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Both rides start at Westside Joe's Bikes 4319 Piedmont Ave. Oakland CA 94611
Both rides finish at Line 51 Brewing Co. - 303 Castro St, Oakland, CA 94607
There will be two ride options:
Super chill, just going for a ride.
17 locations with 9 hours to get to as many as you can.
Sunday January 21st, beginning at 8am and until 10am at Westside Joe's Bikes 4319 Piedmont Ave., teams can
pick up two spoke cards, two raffle tickets, and one manifest of locations in the East Bay Area. Teams will have
until 5pm Sunday January 21st (9 hours) to reach as many locations as they possibly can and get to the finish
at Line 51 Brewing before 5pm. No spoke cards or manifests for The 9 will be available after 10am Sunday January 21st.
All locations will be within the East Bay, no further north than Richmond, no further south than San Leandro,
no further west than Alameda, and will not go further east than the top of the Berkeley and Oakland Hills.
This Ultimate Challenge.
30+ locations with 33 hours to get to as many as you can.
Saturday January 20th, beginning at 8am and until 12noon at Westside Joe's Bikes 4319 Piedmont Ave., teams
can pick up two spoke cards, two raffle tickets, and one manifest of locations in the Bay Area, and will have until
5pm Sunday January 21st (33 hours) to reach as many as humanly possible and get to the finish at Line 51 Brewing
before 5pm. No spoke cards or manifests for The 33 will be available after 12:00 noon Saturday January 20th.
These locations could be anywhere in the Bay Area, and we aren’t going to tell you anything other than that.
You will have your work cut out for you, and you will not get to all of them.
There will be three classes in each ride:
Human Powered is exactly what it says, you walk with or ride your bicycle for the entirety of the event, with one
exception for those participating in the 33: you may use the Oakland Ferry once - either to travel to San Francisco
or back to Oakland - no round trips. If you take the ferry, you must have a Location photo from aboard the ferry as
well as a location photo from either the Richmond Bridge or the Dumbarton Bridge or you will be moved to the Pedal
Assist category. (see criteria for Location photos below).
Pedal Assist is using any form of assistance beyond your feet and a pedal bicycle.
Assist includes using: Ebikes, BART, CALTrain, Amtrak, Ferries and commercial airlines. You can use these as much
as you like, but may only use public transportation that is available to all other riders. Personal vehicles are not
allowed, and this includes Lyft, Uber, limousine service and helicopters.
DFL… if you don’t know what DFL is, please google it.
What do I need?
- A bicycle that is safe to ride, with fully functional front and rear lights,
- A helmet
- A Team member
The winners will be whichever teams have the most points.
One point is earned for each location visited with photographic proof. Some locations can be worth more points,
which will be denoted on the manifest. Extra credit points are also available.
To be eligible to incur points, all teams must reach the after party location with their spoke card, manifest, and
photos before 5:00pm PST Sunday January 21st. At this time, teams will be required to present the list of
locations they reached from the manifest, as well as “very specific” photos taken at each individual location
visited as proof of completion.
The “very specific” location photos must clearly be taken at the listed location and must include: both team
member’s faces, a portion of both bicycles used, and the official spoke cards to receive the point(s) for visiting
the location. The organizers of this ride have the final say in if the photo(s) comply with all listed criteria -
no exceptions. This also applies to photos for extra credit points.
1 extra credit point:
wear a costume that covers more than 50% of the body (both team members)
bring extra breakfast sandwiches to the start to share
ride a tandem
go for a swim during the ride (must provide photographic proof)
sunset photo from any of the locations on the manifest
bring donuts to share at the finish
3 extra credit points:
ride a fixed gear, or coaster brake bicycle (both team members)
both team members covered in mud at some point during the event (with photographic proof)
sunrise photo from any of the locations on the manifest
use of a polaroid camera for location photos
camp anywhere the night of the 20th (with photographic proof)
Bring a minimum of three (3) 10 inch or larger apple pies to the finish to share
12 extra credit points
one team member legally adopts a pet during the ride
visit every location within the time frame
beat Gary Fisher’s time on Repack of 4:22
parachute from an airplane (parachuting from a helicopter is grounds for disqualification as
helicopters are not allowed to be used in this event)
If for some crazy reason it just somehow happens that there is a tie: rock-paper-scissors will be used to break the
tie - and it will be the best of three.
All four First Place Finishers and both DFL will receive a free Standard Tune Up from Westside Joe’s Bikes
Piedmont for the bikes used in the event. We will add more prizes as our sponsors offer them!
We will have a raffle for anyone, not just those riding in the Ultimate Alleycat! Raffle tickets can be purchased at
Westside Joe's Bikes in Oakland for $5 each - cash only - beginning January 1st 2024, as well as at the finish prior
to the last raffle.. We will be raffling off all the prizes that are donated at the finish of the ride.
You must be preset to win. 100% of all funds raised will go to Cycles of Change.
The party at the finish location starts at 4:00pm, and we will be celebrating every single cyclist whether they did
the event or not, so there is no reason not to come and have a good time.
The organizers of this event can and will disqualify and remove any person at any time if they are being a jerk, acting dangerous,
or doing anything that could make cycling, the sponsors, promoters, participants, and/or basically anyone look bad
- including themselves. Sometimes people just need to not be involved because it is obvious, and if
this ends up being you, we’re sorry but you will be told to leave and won’t be allowed back.
Remember, this is all for fun and no one’s mortgage or rent or livelihood is dependent on winning this
silly thing. It's silly, and we know it. The only thing we take seriously is safety and supporting Cycles of Change.
the fine print:
IN CONSIDERATION of being permitted to Participate in the Ultimate Alleycat, for myself, my personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin:
1. ACKNOWLEDGE, agree, and represent that I understand the nature of Bicycling Activities and that I am qualified in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such Activity. I further acknowledge that the Activity will be conducted over public roads and facilities open to the public during the Activity and upon which the hazards of traveling are to be expected. I further agree and warrant that if at any time I believe conditions to be unsafe, I will immediately discontinue further participation in the Activity.
2. Fully understand that: (a) bicycling activities involve risks and dangers of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis, and death (“Risks”); (b) these Risks and dangers may be caused by my own actions or inaction's, the actions or inaction's of others participating in the Activity, the condition in which the Activity takes place, or the negligence of the “Releasees” named below: (C) there may be other Risks and social and economic losses, either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at the time; and I fully accept and assume all such Risks and all responsibility for losses, costs, and damages I incur as a result of my participation or that of the minor in the Activity.
3. Hereby release, discharge, and covenant not to sue Westside Joe’s Bikes LLC, their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, members, volunteers, and employees, other participants, any sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, owners and lessors of premises on which the Activity takes place, (each considered one of the “Releasees” herein) from all liability, claims, demands, losses or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the “Releasees” or otherwise including negligent rescue operations; and I further agree that if, despite this release and waiver of liability, assumption of Risk, and indemnity agreement I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim against any of the Releasees, I will indemnify, save, and hold harmless each of the “Releasees” from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which any may incur as the result of such claim.